We love our japanese cusine around here.
Seriously, the kids are taught to eat sashimi the minute they are old enough to chew. ( after the age of 2!) In fact, if you ask the kiddos what they love to eat the immediate reaction would be italian or japanese food.
We used to frequent Tampopo a lot. And every single time, D would order a katsu curry. Without fail.
So one fine day in April, I thought I would attempt the dish and pray that it would come together well. (So that we can have japanese curry whenever and wherever.)
Thankfully it did. And dare I say, it's amazingly good and authentic. It's cheap to create and you can boil a big pot to freeze. Best of all, it only takes an hour to cook!
Now, we have it at least once a week. =)
Ingredients - Serves 8
400g of beef chunks (for stewing) cut into 2cm cubes -
6 onions, cut into halves and then slice into 0.5cm strips
3cm ginger - grated
2 cans of peeled whole tomatoes
2 apples (pureed) - I just do it in a hand blender.
6 tablespoons of tomato sauce
4 cans of water (from the tomato cans) OR equivalent chicken stock
1 cinnamon stick
3 star anise
2-3 chicken cubes
6 tablespoons of japanese curry powder.
3 carrots - cut into 3cm chunks
2 potatoes - cut into 2cm cubes
- Heat a thick based frying pan.
- Add 3 tbspoons of oil
- Add 3 tbsps flour, salt and pepper to coat the beef.
- Sear the beef and then put it aside.
- Heat a thick based big pot on medium heat (I use a le cruset crockpot)
- Add 2 tbsps of oil.
- Put the onions in the sweat till it turns brown. Stir occasionally.
- Add ginger
- Add the cans of tomatoes. Followed by 4 cans of water.
- Throw in the cinnamon stick and star anise when it boils.
- Add in the pureed apples, tomato ketchup and 2-3 chicken cubes. (omit if you use stock)
- Add the beef cubes, potatoes and carrots.
- Leave to boil for 30 minutes.
- Add curry powder. Boil for another 15 minutes.
You can serve it with rice. I like to add fried chicken wings or katsu cutlets with a boiled egg (or two!) with it. =)
Try it! You just might never order curry outside again. =)